1928: Hotel Del Salto Grand Opening
Located along side the Bogota River and the Tequendama Falls in Colombia, Hotel Del Salto was originally a residential mansion for an architect named Carlos Tapias. In 1928, the mansion was made larger and it was then introduced as Hotel Del Salto. In doing so, the Tequendama Falls was hoped to turn into a famous tourist destination. The hotel successfully continued on for the next 60 years.
The plan in the 1950s was to turn the place into an 18-floor hotel. Unfortunately, the Bogota River became polluted which heavily damaged the structure of the hotel. As a result, the Salto Hotel stopped running in 1990. 20 years later, tabloid media stated that the hotel is haunted.
This conclusion stemmed from the number of suicides that occurred at the Tequendama Falls. Legend has it that indigenous Muisca Indians would jump from this to get away from the Spanish conquerors where they would transform into an eagle and fly away. This legend reached the broken-hearted, so they jumped from the hotel’s cliff which led to their death.
(1) Restored Hotel Del Salto, now known as the Tequendama Falls Museum of Biodiversity and Culture
(2) Restored room in the museum
In 2011, two groups have joined together to restore the hotel’s architecture. The goal was to turn Hotel Del Salto into a museum that represents a symbol of cultural heritage and environmental restoration. The name of the hotel was then changed to Tequendama Falls Museum of Biodiversity and Culture.
August 2013: Ground floor now as the Grand Hall of Biodiversity
The Grand Hall of Biodiversity contains large windows where you can see the falls. Its first exhibit called Caverns: Ecosystems of the Underground World presented the diverse local ecology to the public.
However, the lower floors of the Tequendama Falls Museum are not open yet. But the restoration still continues.